This project is funded by NEDO (New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization), the funding agency of the Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI).
NEDO is one of the largest public R&D management agencies in Japan.
It was established in 1980 after the two oil crises of the 1970s with a goal to assist the development and implementation of new energy technologies.
Since then, NEDO had been focusing its efforts on addressing global environmental problems as well as supporting industrial technology development in Japan.
One important direction of NEDO activities is the management and oversight of the national funding for the Next Generation AI and Robotics Technology Development.
Budget allocation for this scheme in 2018 comprised US$50 million.
This budget is distributed between the 8 following directions of research:
- Fundamental Research Targeting Large-Scale Real World Applications
- Next Generation AI Framework · Advanced Core Module
- Next Generation AI Common Infrastructure Technology
- Innovative Sensing Technology (Smart Sensing)
- Innovative Actuation Technology (Smart Actuation)
- Innovative Robot Integration Technology
- Global Research and Development on Next Generation AI Technology
- US-Japan Collaborative Research and Development of Next Generation AI Technology
Data Collaboration project is supported by NEDO within the scope of the theme (8), which kicked off in 2018 fiscal year with a two-year feasibility study phase.
After passing the state gate at the end of 2019, additional funds will be allocated for the research and development.